Thursday, March 12, 2009

Highbourne Cay











Highbourne Cay is a privately owned island with a marina open to the public. It's not high tech, but they had cold beer ($4/bottle) and wine, hammocks and pristine beaches. The birds (land birds) around the docks are apparently used to being fed off the boats and are very cheeky. While we were tying up and settling in we had the screen door open. I came into the cabin just in time to see the little guy fly by. Knowing Koki was nearby, I tried to get him out as soon as possible. I finally cornered him in the head and let him out through the hatch. During this first round of bird herding, I inadvertantly left open a screen in the galley, so we had round two. Throughout our stay they used Nyla's water dish as a drinking fountain/bird bath. At the end of the dock is a fish cleaning station with "pet" sharks who are also used to being fed. Absolutely amazing to see so many up close. I believe they are nurse sharks, who are typically very docile and can be hand fed. (NOT by me!) Morgan mentioned Nyla's environmental efforts in his posting. Caught some great pics of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment